Schools & Education
South Lakeland is well served by a range of high-quality state-run, grant-maintained and private schools. It is the perfect location for family life, and it is no surprise that parents choose the Lake District as the place for their child's location.
Primary & Secondary Schools
For primary schools in South Lakeland, and their admission policies, visit the Cumbria County Council website.
All secondary schools in South Lakeland were rated 'good' or 'outstanding' in their most recent Ofsted inspections. In addition, South Lakeland hosts independent schools offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma, boarding schools and specialist colleges.
Cumbria County Council is the local education authority and has responsibility for community and voluntary-controlled infant, junior, primary and secondary schools.
The state-run secondary schools in South Lakeland are:
- Dallam School, Milnthorpe
- Queen Elizabeth School, Kirkby Lonsdale
- Settlebeck High School, Sedbergh
- Lakes School, Windermere
- John Ruskin School, Coniston
- Queen Katherine School, Kendal
- Kirkbie Kendal School, Kendal
- Cartmel Priory School, Cartmel
- Ulverston Victoria High School, Ulverston
- Sedbergh School, Sedbergh
- Casterton, Sedbergh Preparatory School
- Windermere School, Windermere
- Chetwynde, Barrow-in-Furness
For events taking place in schools, visit Explore South Lakeland.
Special Educational Needs
Schools in South Lakeland provide facilities for children with special educational needs. Cumbria County Council’s website provides further details of children's services, schools and learning.