Leisure and Tourism
South Lakeland, situated in the Lake District, is known all over the world for its astounding natural beauty and unique, vibrant culture. We enjoy a well-deserved worldwide reputation as a high quality visitor destination, both in terms of the natural landscape and the offer for tourists from around the world.
Our region includes two beautiful national parks – the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales – as well as stunning coastline at the head of Morecambe Bay and a number of historic and picturesque towns and villages.
Find out about the latest events and festivals, local offers, and things to do in the Lakes. Make the most of the wonderful sights and attractions and uncover some of the area’s best-kept secrets. You’ll find a fascinating world of hidden gems just waiting to be discovered.
Cumbria Tourism is our official tourist board, with an active membership of 3,000 visitor dependent businesses. The opportunities for business to be part of the leisure and tourism sector are as diverse and varied as the people who flock to our region every year. Cumbria Tourism offer a range of business support for all types of tourism businesses, from sole proprietors to large employers.
Hospitality is a key provision and accommodation in South Lakeland caters for all tastes and budgets, ranging from cosy, family-run B&B’s to large modern resort hotels, as well as caravan, camping sites and hostels.
Adventurous activity providers, innovative and engaging tourist attractions, the great outdoors and sporting, historical and cultural venues provide an abundance of choice for visitors of all age, abilities and interests.
Key points in summary:
- A world-class destination with world-class hospitality provision
- A sector which contributes massively to South Lakeland’s economy
- Secondary and tertiary economy generated by the tourism supply chain
- Opportunities for a diversity of visitor attractions, activities and further hospitality offerings
- Tangible examples of ‘clusters’ working successfully together
- Highly-skilled, highly-motivated existing and next-generation workforce
- Proven investment in maintaining high standards
- Key stakeholder organisations working together to promote South Lakeland