Starting a business is both exciting and rewarding, but it is also full of challenges with a high level of commitment and resources required to turn your dream into reality.
Help with Starting Up Your Business
CREA Business Start-Up Programme offers 1-2-1 business support, access to Business Skills Seminars from Accounts & Book keeping to Websites & SEO. Our programme will help you write a business plan to assess the sustainability of your idea and provide you with expert advice and support to help you through the critical early stages of your business.
For more information on our programme and business seminars please contact CREA on 01539 726624. CREA Business Start Up Programme is supported by SLDC. You can also download our business support leaflet for more information.
How to register your business, where to locate, how to start trading, recruiting staff and arranging support or finance - getting the right advice is priceless. We hope to signpost you to the people and organisations who can help you in this process. We are very keen that your business gets off to a flying start and can help you find local enterprise and business agencies who can help support you and your company's economic growth.
We have listed some information below that should help you when setting up your business:
- To find a premises in South Lakeland, use our Land and Premises Search Engine.
- If you own or rent any business premises, you will need to pay business rates, however some small businesses may qualify for rate relief, find out more on the Business Rates webpage.
- You will also need to register your business as well as for self assessment with HMRC. There is also an elearning course that you can access to help you with tax, national insurance, business records and expenses.
- From the rules on displaying your business name to offering credit, and from safety standards for toys through to ingredients listing on food packaging, contact Trading Standards and they will put you in touch with an officer who can advise you.
- Certain businesses (e.g. hotels, restaurants, entertainment, child-minding, pet shops, street traders etc.) require specific licences to operate and SLDC's Licensing department can help advise you on the particular needs for your business.
- If you are setting up a business that sells food or beverages, you will need to register with the Food Safety Team.
- Markets are an ideal place to test your products before investing in a larger premises such as a shop, markets take place in a number of our towns across the district. Find out more about renting space at a local market on the Markets webpage.
- Although grants aren't as available as they may have been historically, our finance pages contain a wealth of information on grants, loans, crowdfunding and other finance schemes.
- Some businesses decide to become limited, to do this you will need to register with Companies House.
- If you would like to bid to provide services for local authorities, register your details on The Chest and also on our supplier database to keep up to date with the latest opportunities.
- Sign up to our e-newsletter to keep up to date on the latest South Lakeland business news and events. You can also follow us on Twitter @InSouthLakes.
- As soon as you have started your business you can register your business on our FREE business directory.
- Come along and meet some of the other businesses in South Lakeland at one of our networking business lunches.
- You can find out more about other businesses in your sector currently operating in South Lakeland and other sector specific information on our Key Business Sectors webpage.
For a snapshot of businesses here in South Lakeland visit our Business Directory.